Tuesday

On the Body Survival Kits

I carry a multi tool and a pocket knife as well as a scribing instrument at all times.

I know of many men that have on them (or very close by) a kit of "Just in Case" tools. These can be anything from eye glass repair kit to small sewing kits. It makes a lot of sense to me that if you learn a lesson the hard way, you would or at least should try to plan for the next time.

The problem with that is, if you have been unlucky enough to have learned many hard lessons, you might just be carrying more stuff then you can manage. I am a strong subscriber to the Boy Scout theory of preparedness. I always try to be ready for or at least able to buy some time should an incident pop up that effects me. This is how I manage my belt tools.
After picking the brains of many of my like minded friends and colleagues, I settled on a small belt pouch with just a few small items to deal with a bad day.

This Compact Universal Belt Wallet made by MIL-SPEC fit the bill.
The pouch carries extra batteries for my lights, a pencil, nylon zip ties, Band aides, wire, eye glass kit, magnifier, a magnet, a scalpel, Paper clips, Lighter, activated carbon N95 filter mask, safety pins, a knock off mini multi tool (with LED light) and a window punch. A pair of latex examination gloves is stuffed into the mesh pouch outside the main wallet and the whole thing can be attached to a military sized web belt via double hard snap loops or if not over stuffed (like mine) can actually be carried in the bellows pocket of your BDU.
A knock off Photon light is attached to the zip fob.

I can't tell you how many times I have dipped into the kit for ...whatever. It is nice to know it is there and ready to serve. Moreover, it hides while it rides. Almost nobody has ever seen it or commented on it if they do. It looks like it might be a cell phone or GPS pouch.

A larger sized pouch is carried in my work bag (sometimes on belt with casual clothes), it includes many of the things in my belt kit but due to it's size can tote a few other things just in case.

The carbon N95 is still with me as is some Steri strips, utility knife, extra batteries, nylon zip ties, small and large sharpy pens, an aluminium and paper tape rule, paper clips, safety pins, a mechanical pencil, a flash drive with emergency information and documents, a spare SD card, a scavenged radio antenna I use as a probe or to reach things under a desk or up on a shelf, an ultra violet pen light (use your imagination) a pocket laser pointer, eye glass kit, mirror, black and white grease pencils, Scalpel blade (size 11), a magnifying glass and a window punch. As before, a knock off Photon light is on the zip fob.




We never can be ready for everything, but the few items I carry everyday help build my confidence in surviving and accident / incident or just making a tough day easier.

Watch your six
RJ