Wednesday

Another Look At BUG OUT BAGS

Bug Out bags are a mainstay of the survival minded individual. To not have at least one B-O-B is to be ill prepared.

I have seen many BOB's in my time and some were wonderful kits that had allot of thought put into them. Some were odd arrangements with strange things like micro BBQ grills and other "luxury" items. When I think BUG OUT, I don't think BBQ....sorry dude.

What you pack will be based on your perceived needs, the terrain you are in and weather conditions so your BOB is bound to need tweaking from time to time. The standard 10 list should be represented of course but then you must remember that the BUG OUT BAG is really a small stock room on your back. While a backpack may fare well as a BOB, I take it a step farther.

My BOBs are duffels. Man portable-over packed-shoulder carried-Stack able duffels.
I found a duffel that screamed BOB and after giving it the twice over, I bought four.
They are heavy vulcanized nylon side stuffers. Water resistant (a good thing for long term exposure) and camouflaged which I thought would be very useful should I ever need to cashe one while on the fly.














I can easily carry thirty Lbs of support gear in this bag.

The zips are strong and well protected by a cover flap that utilizes Velcro closures on three sides. I use the flap to cover spacial items I may need immediate access to, A flashlight-10% OC spray and a small lock blade knife.

I carry for the family so items in these bags are not "tactical", they are for easing the stress of relocation....that's it.

Extra dry clothes, toiletries, Children OTC medicine and other items to provide comfort in times of transition are packed in separate plastic bags within the BOB.

The BUG OUT BAG is just one component of the survivor's travel plans. Not to replace the Backpack but rather to supplement it and to act as the thinking mans store room.
Watch your six
RJ